Hastings-Prince Edward Public Health is working on a study on local radon levels, which is why they’re giving out free test kits.

“Radon is a naturally occurring, radioactive gas that comes from the breakdown of uranium found in rocks and soils,” the health unit says. They explain you can’t see, smell or taste radon and it can enter buildings in any areas of exposed soil. “In confined spaces like a home, radon can build up to high levels and become a health risk,” they add. “The likelihood of high radon levels cannot be predicted by the age or location of a home, and all homes are at risk.”

Public Health’s Medical Officer of Health Piotr O’Glaza explains that breathing in radon over a long period of time can lead to lung cancer, which is why Public Health belives this study is important to do.

If you’re interested in participating, you’re being asked to complete a survey on Public Health’s website. Applications will be accepted until November 15th.