Listen Live
HomeNewsFirefighters Urge Residents To Clear Heating Exhausts After Massive Snow Storm

Firefighters Urge Residents To Clear Heating Exhausts After Massive Snow Storm

On the tail of the weekend’s major snow storm, emergency services are urging you to clear snow away from exhaust vents around your home.

Deputy Fire Chief Matt Musclow says vents from anything that creates heat, like propane or natural gas, can lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide in your home. He and other firefighters across the province are urging people to clear at least three feet of space around your vents to allow CO2 to escape. He says to remove anything else around it, and make sure the vent is clear of ice as well, to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

He also suggests for wood burners to give their chimney a clean too, or have it inspected by a technician. He says this will help prevent chimney fires and remove creosote buildup in your chimney. Using dry, seasoned wood instead of fresh-cut will help avoid this buildup.

In addition, Musclow asks residents to make sure their driveway is clear, and their street number is visible. This is so that all emergency services can reach you if need be. A secondary escape should also be snow-free, to help residents better escape a fire should their primary escape route be compromised. CO2 alarms should also be checked to make sure they are in good working order.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading