After multiple house fires in North Hastings, Bancroft’s Fire Department is sharing tips on what residents can do to possibly prevent them.
“It could literally be seconds,” Deputy Fire Chief Matt Musclow says about how quickly a fire could start in your home. He says to never leave an appliance in the kitchen on if you’re leaving the room. The same goes for the washer and dryer. He says that you should keep an eye on candles as well and blow them out if you have to leave the room.
Musclow adds that if you’re leaving your house for an extended period of time, like for a vacation, all appliances should be turned off before you go. It’s important as well to make sure your carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm are working.
With the warmest time of the year behind, Musclow reminds residents to get their heating appliances checked by a licensed contractor. “We want to make sure that any appliances you have are inspected properly,” he says. That includes having your chimney cleaned out.
The daytime burn ban is also still on in the area. That means no burning is allowed between 7 AM and 7 PM.